Sunday, February 12, 2012

Valentine's Day gift for Dad

Finding the perfect Valentine's Day gift can be tricky.  Not only do I have to get one from me, but I also have to make sure that the kids have something to give their daddy.  This year, I decided to give him one gift from all three of us. 

While there are some great Valentine's Day gifts for men out there, I opted to make something special this year. I started by interviewing both of my children.  All of the questions related to their dad, and the answers were hilarious!  Once I had the text I needed, I got to work on the design.



Using Adobe Illustrator, I used photos of the kids with their dad as the background.  I used sepia tone and adjusted the opacity so that the text would stand out when added.  On another layer, I added the text and put the kid's answers a different font.  When I was satisfied with the layout, I printed the pictures and put them in a double frame.  Happy Valentine's Day!


15 comments:

  1. I made something almost exactly like this in high school in Coopersville, I'm sure you know where that is:)
    I did mine for my boyfriend's daughter when she was 4 and had her write the answers on the canvas in her own handwriting. LOVED it and LOVE the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just did one for my hubby from our daughter! Thanks for sharing this idea! :)

    Your newest Follower,
    Marie
    The Hands-On Teacher in First!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful. I don't have ADOBE but I'm going to try it in Word. Thanks so much for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sweet! i love that they both answered "beer" for favorite drink! that would happen at my house, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea and i'm going to get this done for Fathers day for my hubby!! He will LOVE it I know and later on a keepsake for his little girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this idea but I can not figure out how to use the adobe illustrator. Can you give step by step directions with that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just did this. So awesome & he is going to love it! Thanks for the idea. HIs favorite drink was Milk & for fun he "likes to go to work" WHat a fun guy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so creative & precious. you can see the kids knowledge grow too to be more accurate.fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is the name of the font you used on the all about daddy sign?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also wondering about the two fonts you used??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just want you to know that I adapted this idea a bit and my dad & husband LOVED receiving these for Father's Day. I'll be blogging about it later this week and I'll be sure to link back to you to give you credit. I found your idea on Pinterest. My blog is www.mamagab.net.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember that I did once when I was in kindergarten. I look back at it and just laugh. These are perfect! My dad thought it was the funniest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this! How do you go about doing this?

    ReplyDelete