Thursday, November 11, 2010

Teaching patience in an "on demand" world

Learning patience is something that I am still trying to master after 32 years.  As a parent, I now have to set an example for my children and teach them the value of patience.  In a world of instant access to information on the internet, on demand programming on television, and Facebook instead of face-time as a means of communication, it seems that patience is something valued less and less as time goes on and technology evolves.

Additionally, I see a new generation of children growing up with a sense of entitlement to have what they want, when they want it, and to have it on their terms.  As a culture, we have hoisted spoiled brats like Paris Hilton and friends to celebrity status.  We celebrate girls acting like divas and encourage this from a young age by giving them Bratz Dolls as presents.  Should we really be surprised that we have a growing number of entitled, sassy young women?  Have the virtues of patience, kindness and poise become extinct? 

As a parent, I feel that it is more important, and more difficult than ever to teach these values to children.  I will not tolerate a diva in the house, and the value of hard work will be taught daily.  I know that I will face challenges, and that I won't handle every situation perfectly, but I hope that when my children grow into young adults they are viewed as kind, polite and poised individuals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment